Thinking of Replacing an Older TV?
Recently, I was faced with replacing an older TV in my home office. My daughter suggested that I upgrade to a flat-screen TV. And since my office doubles as an extra guest room, my grandchildren heartily approved this suggestion!
Choosing a flat-screen TV also allowed me to get a larger screen. The old, bulky TV had a small 13â€ screen. Since the flat-screen TV is a big space saver, I decided to get a 24â€ screen.
There were many other decisions I had to make:
- LCD (liquid crystal display) or plasma? LED and plasma TVs are only made in much larger sizes. Plus, LCD TVs are more energy efficient, which is important to me.
- High Definition (HD)? I definitely wanted this for a better picture! This required a visit to the cable office to trade in my regular cable box for an HD one.
- Table or Wall-Mounted? On the table, like the old one. If I wanted it wall-mounted, I would have hired a professional installer to do the job for correct wiring.
- Buy online or in store? It was easy and fun to use online TV comparison guides before venturing out to a retailer. In the store, we changed the TV settings to â€œhomeâ€ mode to see how the picture will look at home.
- Installation? My 24â€ TV was small enough for me to bring home and it was easy to attach the cable box and DVD player myself. If I had bought a larger TV, free delivery and installation would have been a necessity.
- Extended warranty? Instead of paying for an extended warranty, consider using a credit card that can extend your manufacturerâ€™s free warranty period.
One last consideration was disposing of the old TV. Since the tubes in older TVs contain lead and other harmful materials, they donâ€™t belong in landfills. I checked with my local recycling center and followed their recommendations.
My whole family is enjoying the new HDTV, and Iâ€™m wondering now why I waited so long to upgrade!
Click here and type in your street address to see what providers and deals on Cable TV service are available in your area!
CABLE & SATELLITE TV
STARTING AT: $2999/MO
STARTING AT: $1999/MO
HIGH SPEED INTERNET
Enter your address to see available offers